Now that I am unemployed, I realized that I am still somewhat of a rookie when it comes to being a housewife. I've been out of practice. Things either got neglected or were shared tasks or were done in such a hurry my head was spinning. To get me into the routine again of daily household duties, I had the idea of taking what I am used to (a lesson plan book for teachers) and turning it into a way to schedule my day at home.
I am sure I probably won't always need this, and that after awhile my routines will become, well...routine! However, for now I am loving having a place to put all of the things that need to be done.
A mere calendar does not have enough space for all that needs to be accomplished in one day. What's great about this is that you can set aside specific blocks of time.
Each day, I have:
*Correspondance for making phone calls, paying bills, catching up with email, etc.
*Health and Wellness for aerobics, walks, doctor appointments, etc.
*Purchasing for grocery shopping, gift shopping, or any other needs
*Cleaning (1st round)
*Lunch
*Special Projects for things like painting a room, scrapbooking, cleaning out the garage, etc.
*Cleaning (2nd round)
*Prep for Dinner
It's also nice to have specific blocks of times for things to make planning easier. For example, if I need to go to the doctor or want to walk with a friend, I would schedule those things between 9:00 and 10:00 (if possible) because that is my "Health and Wellness" time. Easy! Of course, whenever little kiddos come along, I can change the blocks of time accordingly.
I leave it open through the week on the desk in the great room, and Mike can add to it for anything he needs help getting done. Of course, you have to be flexible. For example, some things came up today that I needed to take care of so I didn't get to enjoy that "planned" afternoon flick :-) But that's OKAY!
And when the weekends come? I shut the planner and have fun!
2 comments:
That's a great idea! I need one of those now! I feel like I forget to do something everyday.
I love it too!!! I need something like that to help keep me on track during the day. When I first stopped working it kind of drove me batty that I didn't have a bell to start and stop my day. ;). Too often now I get sucked into my computer and half the day is gone. Love how you put your categories in your post also. Thanks Robin!
Post a Comment