Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

School Days v. Summer Days

I've noticed this week how the number of words I speak each day now that I am on summer vacation have changed dramatically compared to when I was working...not that it's a bad thing. It's just sort of sudden and weird! Here is an example:

A School Day...
"Class, class. (Yes, Yes). You have 25 seconds to put away your journals and get out your Mountain Language. Ready. (Set.) Go."
"Blah blah blah blah blah blah"
"Nice work, Alyssa."
"Luis Fernando, you need to apologize to Noah. Remember to tell him why you're apologizing."
"Looking for quiet groups to line up for recess..."
"Blah blah blah blah blah blah"
"Abram, I like how you answered in a complete sentence, thank you!"
"Great input, Juan."
"Axel, that's a reminder, next step is a warning."
"Rule #2. (Rule #2 Raise your hand for permission to speak.)"
"I'm sure they don't mean to leave you out of the game, Yarely, why don't you go talk to them and see if they'll let you join?"
"What great manners, Angel."
"Blah blah blah blah blah blah"
"Looking for quiet groups to line up for lunch..."
"Team Captains please get your math textbooks for your teams."
"Heads down. Heads down."
Blah blah blah blah blah blah
"Look under your chairs and check for any garbage under the floor."
"Looking for quiet teams to dismiss..."
"Have a nice evening, see you tomorrow!"

And a Summer Day...
"Bye, Mike, have a nice day! I love you!"
"Hi, Karen, how are you?"
*text Summer (this is not really speaking, though)
*text Mom (this isn't either!)
"Hi, Mike, tell me about your day."
"Jeopardy's on!"
"Amber, lay down. Lay down."
"Dinner's ready!"
Blah blah blah blah blah
"Only 4 more days until vacation..."
Blah blah blah blah blah
"Goodnight!"

No comments: