I wish I were a morning person, I really do...and I'm working on it (after 30 something years, right?). But for now, my favorite time of day is that little window between 3:45 and 4:30 when the sun is deciding when to set and some, but not all of the lights in the house are necessary. That time when I get to catch up on my email and listen to the clocks tick because there is no TV and no washing machine on yet. I enjoy listening to the whir of the computer and feel the draft from the windows on my hands while I am still in my jacket or sweater as I wait for the heat to fill the house after the heater has been turned on. That's the best.
Don't get me wrong, I love when Mike comes home. Looking into his face as he turns around from locking the door to see if I can tell by his eyes what kind of day he had, enjoying the few minutes I'll get to see his dark hair peppered with a bit of new gray before he dons his baseball cap (one of the first things he does upon coming home). I love that time, too. I love listening to him greet Amber and play a bit with her before he settles on the couch.
But that little bit of time before dinner starts, before changing from work clothes to cozies, before I make the transition from teacher to wife...I get that extra little moment to recharge my batteries, reflect on my day, and think twice about whether or not to stay grumpy (where my day of teaching usually takes me, as hard as I try to stay positive). I am thankful for my house, thankful for shelter, thankful for the cup of coffee I can make (I enjoy my coffee in the afternoon---decaf of course)...thankful for my friends, my family, Amber-girl...grateful that even though I haven't read my bible in awhile, the Lord still hears my prayers when I am brave enough to pray (as opposed to the times in my life when I am not at all timid about talking to Him)...that's my favorite time of day. I guess you could call it... twilight.
6 comments:
I totally feel like I'm sitting on the couch next to you! I'm
so glad you have a blog!!! I have to say that I get so irritated when I hear about people wanting to base teacher pay on test scores. If I had your class I would quit. Students have no accountability anymore. No wish to excel. So frustrating to me. I'm happy to listen to you vent so vent away! Oh, and your crock pot can make some crazy good meals for you. I have found that if I freeze the leftovers then Cliff doesn't get sick of eating the same thing for a week.
So smart, Jen! (The freezing leftover idea) Why didn't I think of that? I think you're the best...I am SO glad you talked me into this blog thing...thank you! I learn so many things from you, you know!
Oh sure....she's the best! LOL!
You know what I mean, Rosie! :-)
I learn from you, too...for example, you're my Campbell's soup.com savior!
I was just messing with you.....I know I'm really the smarter one. LOL!!!!!
Hahaha :-)
Post a Comment