Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Story of Our Quilt






When my family was preparing for my bridal shower that was to be held in August of 2005, they had a big surprise in store. A quilt. Not just any quilt, but a quilt that was to be hand-made by a distant relative in Arkansas. And not just any quilt made by a relative, but one that was put together with pieces that were individualized and special just for us. It was an amazing surprize, and when I saw it I cried.

My aunts and my mom sent out letters and a quilt square to each lady who would be invited to the shower with instructions to design their own quilt square and return it by a certain date so that it could be made in time for the shower. They got quite a variety of designs ranging from puffpaint to buttons sewn on to ironed on photographs! Then they had the quilet sewn together with the same sheets that Mike and I had registered for so that it would match our bedroom.

When I arrived at the shower, there it was, hanging by a rope between two trees swaying in the wind. When I stepped closer and realized what was on it, that's when the tears started to flow! What a special memory...

I love this quilt. I look at it all the time, I sleep under it...and Amber is not allowed anywhere near it!!! It is so special to me and I will keep it forever. Thank you so much, my family and friends! You are so thoughtful :-)

No comments: