Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

2nd Annual Girl's Retreat



Last year, I decided to dedicate one weekend in May each year to "Meme's girls" and invite them up to my place. In 2009, we spent a whole day shopping at the Gilroy Outlets. And I mean, a whole day!

This year, we ventured out to Monterey for part of the Saturday. We started out at The Fish Hopper, which came recommended by Summer (thanks!). My girls asked for an ocean view and they got it. It was a pretty cool place, with awesome seafood and friendly people. We were joined by Sam, and we didn't mind a bit---he fit right in! Thanks, Sam, for being one of the girls!!!

After lunch, we found a mall right next to Fish Hopper with local shops, which we loved. Mom got a kick of the Hello Kitty & Harley Davidson stores. I liked the Garlic Lovers shop, and Becky and I got an aqua massage which surprised me by feeling pretty good!

We enjoyed the sunshine and cool breeze as we walked down Cannery Row, stopping in the Pebble Beach Golf shop and an adorable hat shop for kids called The Little Hat Shop Me and Moms--the sweetest handmade crocheted hats for little ones.

One thing I should mention, is that when we get together for any event no matter how big or small, it's kind of a tradition to pass out party favors. Usually, one person would be in charge of this. Some how...we ALL brought something for each other! I think it was because we were also celebrating a belated Mother's Day. :-) I gave them initialed yellow folders, a bright colored visor, and a large reusable shopping bag. Aunt Becky gave each us a family cookbook of the recipes of an ancestor of mine, Mary Holt and some shampoo (she's a hair stylist). Mema gave each of us a stack of DVDs to watch this summer. Last but not least, Mom gave us the super cute leather bag tags with our initials and polka-dotted sachets that say "Does this sachet make my undies look big?" and a really cute beaded pen. Thanks you guys!!!

Not wanting our fun to end, we hit the Gilroy Outlet spending about an hour or more in the Coach store (I know, it just doesn't seem possible---don't worry we didn't spend a lot!). We were shocked and pleased to find that Liz Caliborne was having a 50-80% off sale, and barely squeezed into Ralph Lauren before closing time.

Dinner was Burger King at around 10:00, because, well...we had too much fun to remember to nourish our bodies! Then we all pretty much fell into our beds, Mom and Sam at the Best Western and Mema and Becky at our house.

On Sunday morning, Mike sped off to get us girls some pesto bagels, while I made some much needed coffee. Next thing I know we're driving to San Juan Bautista for lunch at Jardine's on the garden patio and we're surprised to see that a Chili Cook Off was going on. Not a parking place could be found in the whole town! Eventually we found some parking, ate at Jardine's and then manuevered our way through the thick crowds. I regretted having ate lunch once I could smell the kettle corn and funnel cakes, but it was just as well that I had already eaten!

Finally, it was time for my girls to hit the road and we said our goodbyes....363 days until the next girl's retreat!

More pictures to follow ASAP...

1 comment:

Powers Fam said...

How Fun! A couple of years ago we did a girls trip on a cruise! It was so much fun. It will be a while before we all get together again. Love the party favor idea.