Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sloppy Dogs

Last night was officially dubbed "date night at home" which we are trying to do more these days due to the fact that the almighty dollar can stretch a little more that way.

In order to kick off this new idea so that Mike would be in favor of future "date nights at home" (and to balance out my pick of chick flicks for our movies that night), I searched on the internet to find a "guy" type dinner to make.

I FOUND SLOPPY DOGS!!!!!!!!!!!
***Forgot to take a picture :-(

We love sloppy dogs, we love sloppy dogs!

I served them on soft sandwich rolls with Ore-Ida crinkle fries. Here's the recipe from MixingBowl.com:

Sloppy Dogs
Servings: 4 to 6

Prep time: 5 minutes

Cook time: 15 minutes

Total time: 20



Ingredients:


Chili

1 lb. ground beef
1 tbsp cooking oil
1/2 onion finely chopped, plus more for topping
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
salt to taste

Slaw

2 cup shredded or processed cabbage
1 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp mayonaise

Other ingredients:

Sour cream to taste
chopped onion to taste
Texas Pete or your favorite hot sauce


Directions:

Chili
Brown 1/2 cup of onions in oil. Add garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Then add ground beef and cook until it changes color. Stir ketchup, water and salt to taste. Cook 15 minutes.

Slaw
Mix cabbage, mayonnaise and sugar

To top your hot dog, spoon some chili first, then some chopped onions, sour cream, follow with Texas Pete, and finally the slaw !

We have no idea what Texas Pete is so we didn't use that...and I spread the sour cream on the rolls first so we wouldn't get a big dollop in one bite. Tasty, tasty!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the recipe. I was just saying to myself that I wanted a sloppy joe and this is one step further and I don't have to go buy anything else.

Powers Fam said...

Texas Pete is a brand of hot sauce. Love google!

Anonymous said...

I'm so mad....I made it but didn't write the directions down...kept it in my head. I put one too many tablespoons of chili powder. It was just a little too strong. So, it wasn't that great. Bummer! I wasted all that meat. Oh well....lesson learned. I know it would have been great, it smelled good!

Robin said...

OMG! You are brave trying to remember the recipe without writing it down! I have to look at every single line and even then I make mistakes! :-)