Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

New Job :-)

Yesterday I started a new job!!  I am working part-time as a Reading Intervention Teacher at an elementary school in Gilroy.  What that means (for you non-teachers) is that I will be working with struggling readers in the areas of phonics and decoding in an effort to boost their reading skills.  In this case, I've been hired to help 1st and 2nd graders.

It's similar to the job I had as Newcomer Teacher for 3 years before I taught 4th grade, only this time it's ANY struggling readers (not just English Learners) and it's part-time.

It's a little bit of a commute---almost 30 minutes from my driveway to the school parking lot, but I really enjoy the quiet time in the car to think and pray.  And listen to music! 

I already love, love, LOVE my new job.  For a million reasons.  I will list some of them:

#1  It's part-time.
#2  Aside from a fleeting fear of barfing 5 minutes before the interview, I loved my interview.
#3  The receptionist at the District Office was listening to K-LUV when I walked in to sign my paperwork.
#4  I found out that they hired TWO of us to do the same job and the lady I work with is very nice and already knows the program we'll use so I'm not totally winging it.
#5  I saw the principal delivering Starbucks to the teachers.  In fact, someone made a wooden Starbucks multiple cup holder just for Starbucks runs and it was sitting on a cart in the office full of Starbucks and nobody acted all excited so this must be a regular thing.
#6  I get to dress up like a pirate tomorrow.  Argghhh
#7  They have a person just for taking care of dealing all aspects of assessments of many kinds.  Wow.
#8  I have my own room temporarily until it becomes a computer lab (date unknown).  The beauty of this is that I know not to bring all my stuff. Why is that beautiful? Because if I don't bring it now, I don't have to move it again later.
#9  The HR lady is super nice.
#10  My bosses are very kind and helpful.
#11  The secretaries are super friendly.
#12  The teachers seem happy.
#13  Before I know it, it's time to leave.
#14  I still have time to go to the gym and make dinner and clean and run errands without feeling rushed.
#15  I don't have to prep much because the program I'll teach from is scripted.  Like...down to the last word.
#16  I'll be working with younger kids who don't have any attitude yet.
#17  The classroom I'll be using is the cleanest, emptiest classroom I've ever walked into.
#18  I was fingerprinted, TB tested, contracted, and paperworked in less than 3 full days.

I just have a good feeling about this job!  Praise God! :-)

2 comments:

joan said...

Yeah Robin - aren't they a lucky school to have you!
Joan (from your old school)

Robin said...

Thanks, Joan!!! :-) I miss you!