Pages

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Port Orchard

So, I've been asked many times "WHY Port Orchard?" Well, it's kind of a long story. Anyone who knows me knows I am a lover of books. There are home videos of me reading books among the chaos of Christmases and Easters while all the other cousins are watching TV or hunting for eggs or playing tag. Me? Nose in the book...oblivious to my surroundings. I think the only reason I got into education was probably because I discovered that as a teacher you get to read aloud nearly every day!
For many years, one of my favorite authors has been Debbie Macomber. I don't know how one person can write so much (because she has written tons of books), but I am very thankful! I read very fast, sometimes one book in one day---and so this is good that there is an author out there that I like so much that has so much out there. Debbie Macomber has a series about a town called Cedar Cove. One day after finishing one of the books in the series, I noticed an ad about an event called Cedar Cove Days in Port Orchard, WA. I was curious and looked into it and discovered that this is where Debbie Macomber lived.
Well, I didn't make it to Cedar Cove Days, but when Mike and I were planning our next vacation to Idaho and Montana, I asked if he would mind skipping Montana in order to go to Port Orchard instead. Sweetly, he agreed and Port Orchard became our new destination.
I just wanted to see if a place as sweet as Cedar Cove existed...and it does! :-)
I found out either through her non-fiction title or her newsletter (I can't remember which) that she writes in her offices in a Victorian-style building and that she has a yarn shop (another series, by the way!), so that is why I have a picture of this building up above---basically, WHY we went to Port Orchard! http://debbiemacomber.com



Mike and I at the front door of Cedar Cove Inn.

The wrap around porch at Cedar Cove Inn.


I have NEVER BEFORE seen Mike this relaxed.



Just one of the signs of Gil & Kathy's sweet touches in and around the Cedar Cove Inn. Had to include this one since I love all things nesting!




No comments: