Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2010

GERD--My Nemesis (The Taker-Away of All Things Yummy)

Can I do it?
Can I?

I think I can....

About four years ago I was diagnosed with GERD...which I am convinced is the result of a life lived on fast food, soda, and too much candy. It all comes back to bite you in the you-know-what. So just remember that, all you "yeah, uh-huh, whatevers"! I am living proof that a poor, nutritionally-void diet can haunt you for the rest of your life. And that ghost is called GERD: Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. It's a scream.

They say obesity doesn't help, so that's why after four years and a super reluctance to want to continue on a medication that gives me wierd side-effects, I am going to put on my walking shoes and lose some poundage. I am also going to eliminate some things from my diet.

The problem is, I LOVE THOSE THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They say that the major foods to avoid aggravating GERD are: fat, caffeine, chocolate, and mint. Well, that right there is a Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks!!!

*sigh*

But I am going to try. I have to. They say that if GERD goes too far, it could turn into cancer. So I am going to do everything I can to avoid that! I think I could reasonably say that I can allow myself one of each of those types of foods once a week. Maybe as a special treat...or maybe I should view them as the evil ones...POISON! All that said, I know it sounds ridiculous to not eat those things, but 40 years down the road if I'm still kickin' up my heels...I just might thank myself.

Wish me luck...and if we're at Starbucks, dear friends, remind me in my glazed-eyed haze of pure anticpation to order the herbal tea. I swear I'll love you for it!

4 comments:

Powers Fam said...

Whenever i think of walking and losing weight I think of Trip'purr and how he lost all that weight by not driving. I wish you the best of luck. Maybe don't go cold turkey but ease the evil foods off your list and look for new treats to be excited about.

Anonymous said...

Let me give you some motivation.....especially when you are diagnosed with a medical condition. You should do everything you possible can to reserve the effects or control it.
My Uncle Louie, who just died in November, had stomach issues that he ignored. He was diagnosed with Esophageal Carcinoma and Lymphoma in the stomach.
So...just give up what you have to to have a better life. I know you love these things, I do too. But, I'd rather love having Robin around for as long as she's supposed to be here. :-)

Anonymous said...

that was 'reverse' the effects or control it.

Robin said...

Thank you girls! That was good advice and great reason for motivation! I didn't know Trip gave up driving. I could easily ride my bike to work....hmmmm....I love you!