Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Fourth Grade 2009/10: Some Reading & Writing

The obligatory focus wall. :-) Vocabulary was on another wall and I forgot to take a pic! Oh well, long story short, for vocabulary I took yet another idea from Summer: The Link Word Chart (not pictured!). I provided a picture for each word, they looked up the definition, talked about it in their teams saying "When I think of __________, I think of __________." Then we would take one response from each team so that we had 6 words to remind us of what that pictured word meant.



We had charts of discussion sentence starters for several reading strategies that we used in the classroom and also on their interactive reading logs for homework. This is my favorite one :-)



The Writing Wall...one thing I began doing after getting a tip from my boss was to have them write their rough drafts on one color paper and their published piece on a different color paper. This saved me from wondering....Are they done? Sometimes you can't tell....;-)

This is an example of a new teaching strategy I learned this year and tried: Interactive Writing. Basically, the kids use the pen. I LOVED THIS!




And iin that cute little basket are the tools needed for Interactive Writing: whiteout tape, highlighter tape, marker, etc. Also, I invested in a MagnaDoodle to use while one student is writing you can take the opportunity to do related mini-lessons (phonics, etc.) on the Doodle.



2 comments:

Powers Fam said...

I wish you could be Julia's teacher! Looking at your classroom pics actually makes me excited to put her in school.

Robin said...

Awww thanks! She'd be a great kid to teach! :-)